Tools

Fire in Town of Newport now out

By WKTV News

(WKTV) - Fire crews battled a fire in the Town of Newport early Tuesday.

The blaze started around 3 a.m., but was out by 7:30 a.m.

One woman and her dog escaped the fire after the dog woke her up before fire crews arrived. The woman, in her 50s, is being housed by the Red Cross.

Fire officials said the blaze was accidental and started around a wood stove.

Our crews on the scene said water has been a huge issue battling this blaze. Crews have to drive a tanker at least two and a half miles to the creek near Schuyler Town Park to get water to fight the fire.

Poland, Middleville, Schuyler and Frankfort Center helped out with the water supply.

The fire appears to have started in a garage on Newport Road and spread to the house.

What's On