Tools

Fire destroys home in Village of Whitesboro

By WKTV News

(WKTV) - A home in the Village of Whitesboro has been destroyed by fire.

Crews responded to the home at 3 High St. shortly after 10 a.m. Monday. Fire officials say it appears the homeowner was transferring gasoline from one container to another. The gasoline spilled and caught fire.

Officials say he tried to extinguish the flames himself, but flames quickly spread before his wife called 911. When crews arrived at the scene, flames were shooting out of the home.

There were also a few setbacks in fighting the blaze.

"Moments later, power lines that supplied the house came down, impeding firefighter efforts," said Whitesboro Fire Chief Peter Sobel. "So, we had to get it from the sides and from behind, so it really impeded our efforts."

The official cause of the fire has not yet been released.

What's On