Fire in Rome started from food on stove
ROME, N.Y. (WKTV) - No one was injured in a fire at 604 North James Street in Rome. The fire started a little after 5 pm on Sunday.
Joshua Kroll lived in the upstairs apartment and stated that he was cooking and had left the stove unattended. Officials say he was alerted of the fire by the smoke detector activation.
Fire officials say he then exited the building and notified the downstairs apartment occupants who also exited the building.
Upon their arrival, Kroll informed firefighters that the fire was upstairs in the kitchen and that the building had been evacuated.
Crews used a water source at James Street and Turin Road to fight the flames. They cut power, and got the flames under control in just 11 minutes.
Power to the first floor has been restored.