Five displaced after fire in Lee Center; donations accepted

By WKTV News

LEE CENTER, N.Y. (WKTV) - Two adults and three children made it out safely after their home caught fire in Lee Center Sunday evening. The fire started shortly after 6 P.M. at 9726 Harris Road.

When crews from the Lee Center Fire Department arrived the mobile home was engulfed in flames. It took firefighters from Lee Center, Taberg and West Leyden about 45 minutes to put out the flames.

Lee Center Chief Joe Baker tells us the fire started around the electrical panel box. The home is a total loss. The people who lived there are staying with family. Baker also tells us two kittens did not make it alive.

A crew from Lake Delta was placed on standby.

A family of five including a five-year-old, a three-year-old and a one-year old are displaced by the fire.

They are currently staying at a relative's home in Rome.

The American Red Cross of the Mohawk Valley is helping to take care of the family's needs.

"We went to assist them with everything as we do every fire family.," said Kelly Brown, Director of Emergency Service. "We take care of folks needs. Hosing, clothing, food, counseling services they may need."

The family was renting the property. The American Red Cross will also be helping them find a new place to live.

You can help out by sending donations of clothing, food, small appliances and household items to:

Eric Martin
C/O Cory and Dustin
9714 Harris Rd
Lee Center, NY 13363

You can also follow this link to the local chapter of the American Red Cross.

What's On