Tools

Gas leak takes hours to fix, residents evacuate

By WKTV News

UTICA, N.Y. (WKTV) - A major gas leak forced many Utica residents to evacuate their homes overnight.

It happened just after midnight Tuesday at the Mid-York Library System building on Shaw Street.

National Grid was called to the scene to help fix the leak. There were reports of natural gas fumes four blocks away from the scene of the incident.

Police and fire crews rushed to help evacuate the block where residents were put on buses for temporary shelter.

National Grid stopped the leak and the residents have been cleared to return to their homes.

According to officers, a report came in that a car struck a building. When officers arrived, they discovered the car hit a gas main in front of the library and it was leaking. The driver was located a short time later. The investigation is continuing.

What's On