Gym turns into makeshift shelter for students following dorm fire
ONEONTA, N.Y. (WKTV) - SUNY Oneonta's Chase gymnasium turned into a shelter for residents of Matteson hall Wednesday night, displaced by a fire. Working with the Red Cross the college filled the gymnasium with beds, blankets and other supplies to house the 177 residents who lived in the dorm.
The night brought not just students from the dorm but also dozens of student volunteers eager to help.
"There's people who don't have anywhere to go right now, they can't get back into their room, so what we did was we got toiletries and clothes and from just my building alone we got at least 5 or 6 boxes packed full of stuff," said Sarah Andreadis an RA from Blodgett Hall.
"Just trying to do anything I can to help out," said Patrick Salvatore. "It stinks that people are displaced and can't sleep in their rooms so I want to make sure they're as comfortable as possible."
"It's scary because you don't know next time it could be our building," said Sarah Andreadis. "But just look at the bright side there's a bunch of people here to help you, you know in Oneonta everyone pulls together and they're like a team."
It's still unknown for how long Matteson Hall will remain closed, the college says they'll continue to shelter students either at the gymnasium or at other locations as the investigation continues.