Infant remains found in Mohawk River


UTICA, N.Y. (WKTV) - A team of roughly seven State Police divers have pulled what appear to be the remains of an infant from the Mohawk River in north Utica.
Utica Police Chief Mark Williams said during a press conference Friday afternoon that 'credible information from State Police' lead the divers, UPD, the FBI and Oneida County District Attorney to the Mohawk River Friday morning.

But they wouldn't say if that information came from the child's father, Jevon Wameling, who did spend time with State Police on Thursday.
"I will say this. Jevon was picked up by the State Police on an unrelated burglary charge and arrested," says Utica Police Chief Mark Williams. "As far as what he told the State Police, I never talk about statements or what went on during the interrogation."
  Police say the apparent infant remains were found in a container, but declined to comment on whether the container was anchored to the bottom of the 14-foot-deep Mohawk River under the Leland Ave bridge, or on the condition of the remains.

The Onondaga County Medical Examiner's Office will work to identify the remains. There's no time frame for that, but a doctor in that office said Friday afternoon that it can take longer to identify infant remains.
The child's mother, Amy Warney, left the Utica Police Department shortly after a 1:30 press conference on the discovery of what could be her son's remains in the Mohawk River.
She declined to be interviewed, pausing briefly to accept condolences from Utica Mayor Robert Palmieri.
Baby Levon Wameling went missing in late May, but his father, Jevon Wameling didn't report it to authorities for about two weeks. The elder Wameling told police the child vanished from the front porch of their Jay Street apartment in east Utica while he was trying to get into the apartment after losing his key.

Jevon Wameling then requested a lawyer, ending any further questioning by police. He told NEWSChannel 2 that he waited to report the child missing in hopes that he'd find him before having to tell the baby's mother, who was in rehab at the time, that he'd lost their son.
Jevon is currently in custody on charges he allegedly robbed money and jewelry from an Oriskany home.
"If this ends up being the remains of baby Levon at least hopefully we've brought some closure to the family," says Chief Williams, adding that the investigation is not over, and as delicate as ever.

"There are a lot of legal rights that apply at this point so we have to tread very carefully...we have a lot of investigative work to be done on this case still and we're going to make sure that the person responsible for this is charged."

What's On