Tools

Jackson rejects plea offer in James Street homicide

By PAT BAILEY

UTICA, N.Y. (WKTV) - Marshall Jackson's plan is to head to trial after the 30 year-old Utica man rejected a plea offer in Oneida County Court on Monday.

Jackson is charged with murder, after police say he killed Anthony Garner on James Street, in Utica, back in May. Jackson was indicted by an Oneida County Grand Jury, then pleading not-guilty last month before being offered a plea deal.

Jackson's attorney, Rebecca Wittman, would not make public the terms of the plea deal, but said it wasn't enough to keep Jackson from going to trial and taking his chances with a jury.

"Without getting into the numbers, it contemplates a plea to the murder charge," Wittman said. "In my experience, for all practical purposes, once you plead to the murder, it really doesn't matter if you get 15, or 20, or 25 years because you're pretty much having no guarantees of getting out."

According to Wittman, there is still work that needs to be done in the case. The Oneida County District Attorney's office is still investigating the incident that happened May 25, Wittman said.

If convicted Jackson faces 25 years to life in prison.

What's On