Man shot in his apartment over the summer arrested for violating order of protection

UTICA, N.Y. (WKTV) - A man who was the victim of a shooting in his Frankfort apartment last summer has now been charged in Utica for allegedly violating an order of protection.

According to Utica Police, on February 16, 2011, the unnamed victim alleged that Michael Grau, 28, called her at her place of employment, which was in violation of an order of protection issued from Herkimer Village Court.

According to the protection order, Grau was to refrain from telephonic communication with the victim.

Grau has been charged with second-degree criminal contempt.

Back in July, Grau was shot four times in his Frankfort home on Railroad Street.

At the time, State Police investigators said a neighbor saw Grau staggering around 5:30 a.m. outside of his home which is just one block from the Village of Frankfort Police Station.

Police said Grau lived in the upstairs apartment at 218 Railroad Street with his girlfriend. Police were not releasing her name, or whether they know if she was home at the time of the shooting.

New York State Police Investigator Mark Lincoln said at the time that investigators hadn't ruled Grau's girlfriend out as a suspect, and he said they were also looking for two other men seen fleeing the area.

"We had a witness at the scene, someone in the neighborhood that identified a white S.U.V. leaving the area at a rapid rate of speed with two black males in the vehicle," Lincoln. "At this point our investigation focuses on those two black males as suspects in this incident."

In a news conference outside the Frankfort Village Hall the day of the shooting, Capt. Lincoln said no weapons were found at the scene, and investigators are not ruling out whether more than one gun was used.

Neighbors in the area told us off camera that day that the couple has had their issues, especially over that past month in particular, leading up to the shooting.

Neighbors said twice that month, the female who lives at the home where the shooting took place, was out in the middle of the street screaming in the middle of the night with her boyfriend, Grau, arguing with her.

Grau was released from the hospital in August, and the two men were never found.

What's On