Marcum facing several charges after multi-county chase and ultimate arrest


LANSING, N.Y. (WKTV) - Russell Marcum, the 20-year-old soldier arrested Saturday following a multi-county police chase, has been arraigned and is facing multiple charges.

New York State Police have released more details on his ultimate arrest in Tompkins County. Troopers say that around 1:30 a.m. Saturday, Marcum was seen driving a stolen vehicle on State Route 13 near Ithaca. A traffic stop was initiated and Marcum refused to comply.

It is alleged that Marcum's vehicle is the same one reported stolen Friday night from Main Street in West Winfield.

The vehicle was chased to Budzinski Road in the Town of Virgil where Marcum abandoned the car and took off on foot into a wooded area, in a similar situation to the one when Marcum abandoned his car in Richfield on Thursday night.

Responding officers established an area perimeter and the vehicle was secured. Hours later, around 3:25 p.m., Marcum was located on Bradshaw Road in the Town of Dryden and taken into custody without incident.

Marcum was send to State Police barracks in Ithaca for processing. He was arraigned in the Town of Lansing Court on charges of criminal possession of stolen property and unlawful fleeing a police officer in a motor vehicle.

Marcum was sent to the Tompkins County jail in lieu of $50,000 cash/$100,000 property bond. In addition, a bench warrant issued by the Village of Theresa Court, Jefferson County, for failure to appear for a court appearance on a charge of burglary.

That stems from Thursday's incident when Marcum initially fled from police after being transferred from police to military custody.

Marcum is a soldier at Fort Drum in Northern New York. He was arrested last week for breaking into private storage facilities in Watertown.

Marcum led police to the Mohawk Valley for most of the manhunt, late Thursday through early Saturday. He was specifically in the West Winfield and Richfield areas.

Since the manhunt began on Thursday, residents in those areas have been on high alert. Authorities were check every passing car and warned residents to lock their doors at night and remain vigilant.

He traveled south to Richfield where police were able to force him out of the vehicle. A foot chase pursued and that is where authorities lost site of Marcum.

Marcum remained unseen in the Herkimer County/Otsego County border area for the entire day on Friday, until the report of the stolen car.

Captain Francis Coots said the credit for Marcum's capture goes beyond the hard work of the State Police. He says authorities were assisted by numerous individuals, other police and fire agencies in local municipalities and local media outlets.

Captain Coots told NEWSChannel 2, ""This was not a job done solely by the State Police. It was a huge effort by so many individuals and agencies and that's why we were able to do it successfully."

The Investigation is continuing. Anyone with additional information is asked to contact the New York State Police at Ithaca at (607) 347-4440 or the New York State Police at Oneida at (315) 366-6000.

What's On