Tools

Officials: Electrical problem caused Mr. McGill's fire

By WKTV News

(WKTV) - The cause of the fire that destroyed Mr. McGill's and DePalma's restaurant in the town of Schuyler has been ruled electrical in origin, officials say.

The Herkimer County Office of Emergency Services Cause and Origin Team ruled the fire was because of an electrical defect along the front wall sill plate of the building. Investigators found significant electrical failure evidence in the area of fire origin.

Interviews and also surveillance video from a nearby business support the findings. The building was unoccupied at the time of the fire.

The owner of the restaurants leased the building and did not carry fire-loss insurance. The building's owner was insured.

What's On