One dead, one hospitalized after wrong-way accident in Sidney

SIDNEY, N.Y. (WKTV) - One man is dead and his passenger remains hospitalized, after a motor vehicle accident down the wrong-way of a road in the Town of Sidney.

According to authorities, on July 16, 2010, at approximately 3:33 p.m., an Officer of the Sidney Police Department was on patrol on East Main Street in the Village of Sidney when they saw a champagne-colored Toyota make an unsafe turn at the intersection of East Main Street and West Main Street. According to the officer, the car then traveled away at a high rate of speed and turned on to Chestnut Street, traveling the wrong way on a one-way street.

The Sidney Officer drove to Chestnut Street and was unable to see the champagne colored Toyota. The Sidney Police Officer activated his patrol’s emergency lighting and proceeded down Chestnut Street.

Upon reaching East Main Street, the Officer saw vehicles pulled to the side of the road with passerby’s indicating the champagne-colored vehicle had driven east on East Main Street.

Upon driving up East Main Street, the Officer observed other motorists and passerby’s indicating the champagne colored vehicle had continued to travel east on East Main Street where it becomes County Route 23. Upon proceeding onto County Route-23, the Sidney Officer observed an accident involving the champagne colored Toyota and another vehicle.

Emergency assistance was then requested and responded to the scene.

Preliminary investigation revealed that Robin W. Straley, 27, of Mount Upton, was driving a 1993 champagne colored Toyota eastbound on County Route 23 at a high rate of speed.

According to authorities, Straley lost control of his vehicle, spun sideways and crossed into the westbound lane striking the front of a 2006 Buick being operated by Sarah A. Mott, 66 of Bainbridge.

Straley was pronounced deceased at the scene by Delaware County Coroner Dr. Richard Ucci.

A passenger in Mr. Straley’s vehicle, Samantha M. Decutler, 20 of Sidney, was airlifted via Lifenet to Wilson Hospital in Johnson City, New York, where she is listed in serious condition.

Mott was transported to Wilson Hospital by ambulance, where she was treated and released.

The Sidney Police Department and Sidney Fire and Ambulance assisted at scene.

State Police said the investigation is continuing.

What's On