Neighbors react: 81-year old man taken into custody after stand-off in Oneida Castle


ONEIDA CASTLE, N.Y. (WKTV) - An 81-year-old man has been taken into custody after a ten hour standoff with authorities.

According to Oneida County Sheriff Robert Maciol the man has been identified as Garth E Brink, 81 of 7th West Street in the Village of Oneida Castle.

Brink was been charged with Reckless Endangerment in the first degree, a class D felony, for discharging a 12 gauge shotgun out of the front window of his residence at 4:30 a.m.

Brink was arraigned in the Town of Floyd Court and sent to Oneida County Jail. His bail is set at $50,000 dollars.

The standoff with Brink began around 1:30 a.m on July 29th, after authorities were called to the home for a domestic dispute. It lasted a whopping ten hours involved friends, family and neighbors trying to coax Brink out of his home. According to one neighbor he was scared to leave in fear to be shot dead by police.

New York State Police and the Oneida County Sheriff's Department were on on the scene. Law enforcement were unable to enter the home and a stand-off ensued.

Helen Jhort, a neighbor who resides up the street from Brink recounts the evening she called a nightmare.

"About 1:30 a.m I was awakened by noise and confusion and I looked out and there were cars but I couldn't tell whether or not they were police cars or what they were all lined up on both sides of the street up this way... ...there were 3 cars in front of my house with lights going and flash lights... all around and I couldn't figure out what it was until it became day light."

Hjort said he seemed like a pleasant man, " When I worked out in the flower bed he'd walk by and wave and seemed to be real nice."

Authorities say the woman who had been in the home made it out safely and without injury.

Around 4:30 a.m., neighbors surrounding the home were evacuated after a shot was fired from the home.

Route 365, which is also State Street in the Village of Oneida Castle was closed to all but local traffic while authorities negotiated with the Brink.

The standoff ended with Brink being taken away in an ambulance , to receive a mental evaluation.

Neighbors say Brink was a kind and helpful neighbor for the decades he's lived in that house. Milton James, who lives next door to Brink wasn't surprised by this most recent outburst.

"There was an incident a couple months ago...same thing but didn't get this far out of hand... I'm just kind of surprised the police didn't take his guns at that time...this time it just went too far."

Neighbors believe brinks Parkinson's medication may have been to blame for this incident.

Helen Hjort said, "I know he's been sickly and he is on medication and stuff and he probably over-medicated himself and went bizerk."

James said Brink was not only his neighbor, but his friend, and an all around great person, always willing to lend a helping hand.

" He's just a great guy. He moved in 2 years after I did and we just help each other do everything. He does everything, he's smart, we just did everything together... We're close friends."

When asked what he would want to tell his friend, James' response was, "I'm still his friend... still a good guy...he just needs some help."

What's On