(WKTV) - A man in Northern Oneida County who came to the aid of what he thought was an injured cat was bitten by the animal, which was later determined to be rabid, the Oneida County Health Department said.
Last week, the man saw the cat staggering in the driveway of his home and suffering from a laceration to its side. When the man tried to pick up the cat to see its injuries and help it, the cat bit him on the hand.
The man received treatment at a local urgent care, and brought the cat to the Stevens-Swan Humane Society. The cat was euthanized and tested positive for the rabies virus. The bite victim is undergoing post-exposure treatment.
"There are two lessons to be learned from this incident," said Bobbi Jo Kahl, rabies prevention and treatment program coordinator. "No matter how humane your intentions, you should never approach a sick or injured animal. Even a household pet may bite if it's been hurt. Secondly, make sure your pets are up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations."
Kahl said this incident marks the first confirmed case of rabies in Oneida County in 2014. Herkimer County has reported a rabid horse and a rabid fox this year.
Oneida county's next rabies clinic will be from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. April 14 at the Camden Firehouse. Dogs, cats and ferrets who are three months and older can receive the rabies vaccine. All pets must be leashed or in a pet carrier. A $10 donation is requested. Owners are urged to bring proof of previous rabies vaccinations.
For a complete listing of rabies clinics or for other questions, call the Oneida County Health Department at 798-5064 or visit ocgov.net/oneida/health.
Upcoming rabies clinics will be:
In Herkimer County:
* From 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. April 17 at the Ohio Community Rec Center in the Town of Ohio.
* From 6 to 7:30 p.m. May 1 at the Dolgeville Fire Department.
* From 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. May 15 at the Middleville Fire Department.
* From 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. May 31 at the East Herkimer Fire Department.
* From 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. June 11 at Norway Community Center.
* From 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. June 18 at the Ilion/Frankfort VFW Pavilion in Frankfort.
* From 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 4 at the Salisbury Fire Department.
* From 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 11 at Cedarville Fire Department.
* From 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 2 at the Little Falls Town Garage.
* From 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 25 at the East Herkimer Fire Department.
Clinics are also scheduled in Oneida County. Pets must be leashed or in a carrier and a $10 donation is requested.
In Oneida County:
* From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. April 14 at the Camden Firehouse.
* From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. June 19 at the Boonville Fairgrounds.
* From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. July 17 at the Rome City Hall.
* From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. July 21 at the Annsville Firehouse.
* From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Aug. 7 at Back to Basics in Foresport.
* From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Aug. 18 at the Vienna Department of Public Works.
In Otsego County:
* From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Richfield Springs Town Barn
* From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. April 15 at the Worcester Town Barn.