Outdoor cooking appliance to blame for west Utica fire

By NEWSChannel 2 Staff

UTICA, N.Y. (WKTV) - Officials say that a cooking appliance, more specifically a "smoker," in a garage is to blame for the west Utica fire on Sunday on Fincke avenue.

There initially a lot of flames pouring from the garage, spreading to the house. It took firefighters roughly 30 minutes to get the fire under control and while the house did sustain some damage, Utica Assistant Fire Chief George Clark said the home was not uninhabitable.

The fire also extended to a neighboring garage, but Assistant Chief Clark said that any damage there was mostly superficial.

Clark said that the Utica Fire Department would like to remind residents that when cooking with a grill or smoker, to make sure you are at least 15-20 feet away from a structure.

What's On