MAP: Police Standoff in NY Mills

View larger map

Domestic call in New York Mills leads to standoff with police

By WKTV News

NEW YORK MILLS, N.Y. (WKTV) - It was around 3 p.m. Monday afternoon that police were called to an apartment complex in New York Mills for a domestic dispute that then led to a man barricading himself in an apartment with a handgun.

Carolyn Courts Apartments was swarmed with law enforcement throughout the later afternoon and into Monday evening.

Around 3 p.m., New York Mills Police were called for a report of a distraught subject at Carolyn Courts Apartments. According to New York State Police Captain Francis Coots, the incident began as a domestic, but took a turn when authorities showed up.

"what had transpired was some type of domestic with an acquaintance of his and he brandished a handgun," Captain Coots said. "not at this person, but brandished a handgun."

Captain Coots says when authorities arrived they asked the 54 year old man with the handgun to surrender, but that is when the man then barricaded himself inside the apartment and refused to come out. Authorities spent hours on the scene negotiating with the man, whose name is not being released, pending the notification of his family members, whom Captain Coots said police wanted to make sure "didn't find out about this on the news first."

With New York Mills Police, New Hartford Police, Oneida County Sheriff's, Yorkville Police, and New York State Police all on the scene, residents of the apartment complex were unable to get to their homes Monday, as authorities had both the Clinton Street and New Hartford Street entrances of the complex blocked off while they continued to try and speak with the man, reportedly barricaded in Building "G" of the complex.

However, shortly after 6 p.m. on Monday, Coots said the man was not willing to give himself up.

"It could be a very long evening or it could end very shortly," Captain Coots said shortly after 6 p.m. "Right now we just don't know why he's so upset, but it's an ongoing process and will continue to be an ongoing process."

At that time, as authorities continued to try and negotiate with the man, authorities said he was the only person inside that apartment at the time. Captain Coots implied that the individual whom he had the domestic incident with earlier in the evening had since left the apartment, and that the daughter of the 54 year old man barricaded inside was the person who first called authorities.

State Police said the man is said to also possess another gun - a long gun.

"However, we have not seen that," Captain Coots said.

When asked if the man had a history of problems, Captain Coots said he could not answer, saying he did not have enough information on the individual at that time.

"It's not that he's made any threats against police, but when we tried to confront him, that's when we weren't sure about where the handgun was," Captain Coots said. "We know he has a handgun, we don't know where it is right now. So we're just trying to keep this as safe as possible. We've evacuated a number of people who live in the apartments adjoining to his."

"Clearly he's distraught," Coots went on to say. "We believe he may be drinking, we're not sure how much. So that's another factor we have to think about when negotiating with him."

What's On