Six men accused of assaulting people inside Floyd mobile home with bats, using gun to demand money
FLOYD, N.Y. (WKTV) - Six men are facing charges after authorities say they entered a mobile home in the Town of Floyd, armed with baseball bats and guns, demanded money, and then assaulted the occupants before fleeing the scene.
Responding to the scene in response to a 911 call about the assault around 2:20 a.m. on, October 28, deputies located a vehicle with a smashed out driver side window on Rickmeyer Road, with one of the assault victims inside the car. The victim told authorities that as the men entered his trailer at Wilber Mobile Homes, he ran to and entered his vehicle. The victim said that one of the suspects with a baseball bat then smashed his window out and struck him in the head.
The victim then drove his vehicle from the residence at Wilber Mobile Homes over to Rickmeyer Road where he waited for police to arrive. When police got to the scene, the victim pointed out another vehicle on the side of the road and told authorities that the vehicle belonged to the suspects. The victim also told deputies that there had been a second vehicle parked at that location which had driven away after being spotted.
As more law enforcement units arrived, Deputies discovered a pick-up truck overturned off the road on Old Floyd Road just around the corner from Rickmeyer Road, and found two more victims at that location. One of the victims, a female, stated that she had run from the residence and jumped into the pick-up truck, thinking her boyfriend was driving, only to discover that the driver was actually one of the suspects. She then grabbed the steering wheel and yanked the wheel, causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle, which ran off the road and overturned.
She told authorities that she and the other victim crawled out of the vehicle and the suspect who was driving then took off running. The female victim told investigators that when the six suspects entered the trailer and demanded money, those suspects struck the people inside with bats and that a gun was pointed at her as they demanded money. She said one of the victims yelled that the police were coming and that's when the suspects ran from the trailer.
When the Sheriff's K-9 unit arrived, they started a track from the scene. As this was being done, a suspect had walked out from the field located between the trailer park and Rickmeyer Road. He was identified as Joseph N. Salerno, 21 from Mary Street in Frankfort. Salerno stated it was his vehicle parked on the side of the road on Rickmeyer Road and he was taken into custody by Sheriff's Deputies.
State Police, who assisted at the scene searching for suspects, located two more suspects near Route 365 and River Road in Rome. The suspects were transported back to the scene and identified as being involved in the incident. The two were identified as Daniel J. Matys, 23 from Lynch Ave in Utica and Chad R. Cherubin, 23 from Benbrook Drive of Carrollton, Texas. All three suspects were transported to the Oneida County Sheriff's Office.
The Oneida County Sheriff's Criminal Investigation Unit responded along with the forensic Identification unit. The victims were transported to the Oneida County Sheriff's Office for further information. At the Sheriff's Office, two of the victims were treated for their injuries and one was transported to an area hospital by ambulance where he was treated and released.
Salerno, Matys and Cherubin were arrested, processed, and arraigned in the Town of Floyd Court on the charge of first-degree burglary and were sent to the Oneida County Jail in lieu of $50,000 cash bail or bond.
Later that same evening, another suspect from the incident was taken into custody - Brandon M. Wilson, 20, from Kernan Street in Utica. Wilson was arrested, processed and arraigned in the Town of Floyd Court on the charge of first-degree burglary. Wilson was sent to the Oneida County Jail in lieu of $50,000 cash bail or bond.
Two days later, on October 31, 2011 a fifth suspect - Travis J. Anderson, 21, from Taylor Ave in Utica was taken into custody. Anderson was arrested, processed and arraigned in the Town of Floyd Court on the charge of first-degree burglary and sent to the Oneida County Jail in lieu of $50,000 cash bail or bond.
On November 1, 2011 a sixth suspect - Robert J. Reynolds, 26, from Route 69 in Oriskany was arrested, processed and arraigned in the Town of Floyd Court on the charge of first-degree burglary. Reynolds was sent to the Oneida County Jail in lieu of $50,000 cash bail or bond.
The six defendants are scheduled to appear back in the Town of Floyd Court on November 3, 2011 at 1 p.m.
The Sheriff's Criminal Investigation Unit is continuing the investigation, which is ongoing.