State fire investigators looking into possible arson in Middleville

MIDDLEVILLE, N.Y. (WKTV) -Firefighters were originally called to a three story building at 13 Main Street in Middleville around 1:30 this morning, for the report that someone poured gasoline on the steps leading up to the second floor.

Firefighters and State Police responded and removed the gas soaked carpeting.

Two hours later crews were called back for a working structure fire.

There are four apartments in the building, two in the front and two in the back. The two in the front are three levels. State Police officers actually helped firefighters rescue some of those inside upon this second call.

Middleville Fire Chief Chris Conover says when crews arrived this second time, three people were trapped on the third floor, there was an infant on the first floor and one unaccounted individual that was eventually found on the second floor, "we did have one trooper that was able to grab a ladder off our engine and get it up to the third floor so people could get out. A second trooper went through the first floor window, grabbed the baby while we forced entry through the front door and made a quick attack."

Chief Conover says three adults were pulled from the third floor, a baby boy, less than a year old was pulled from the first floor and that baby's mother was pulled from the second floor, where fire officials say the fire started. That mother was air lifted to a Syracuse hospital. So far, police are not releasing any names, but do tell us that mother is listed in critical but stable condition. Everyone else was treated at Little Falls Hospital for precautionary measures and are expected to be ok.

State police investigators have been at the scene much of Sunday, as they continue to investigate the cause of this early morning fire, and possibly be gathering evidence, if indeed the fire was intentionally set.

State Police Investigators wouldn't comment on whether they believe the fire is suspicious in nature or whether they know whether the gasonline poured on the stairway during reported in that initial call was intentional. They do say after that first incident this morning, investigators did leave the scene.

Stay with NEWSChannel 2 and for more updates as they become available.

What's On