Teen sentenced for murder and sexual assault of toddler he babysat

UTICA, N.Y. (WKTV) - The teenage babysitter who pleaded guilty to the sexual assault and murder of a toddler in his care has learned just how long he will spend in a detention facility.

On Monday in Oneida County Family Court, Judge Griffith gave Alec Champagne 18 months in a secure facility, 12 months in a residential facility. The judge said Champagne will then be under a 2 1/2 year evaluation by the Office of Children and Family Services for further action.

Judge Griffith could only sentence Champagne to a maximum of five years total, thus leading to the combined total of five years between the secure facility, the residential facility and the evaluation period.

He could be held up to the age of 21 if the OCFS feels it is warranted.

Champagne, 14, was a junior high student in Whitesboro when he pleaded guilty in Oneida County Court back in December to sexually assaulting and murdering two year old Melissa Calhoun, of Yorkville, a toddler he had been babysitting in June.

In December, Champagne told the court all the graphic details of June 18, the day he was babysitting the Calhoun. In court, Champagne said he was picked up that night by the Calhoun family and brought to their house to watch the two year-old girl and her one year-old brother.

A woman saying she was Melissa Calhoun's aunt tells NEWSChannel 2 that only the mother picked up Champagne that night and peeked in on the child, saying the father was not present for those events.

Champagne told the court he put the two to bed around 8 p.m., but Melissa Calhoun woke up around 10 p.m. crying, Champagne told the court.

"I hit her with the back of my hand because she wouldn't stop crying," Champagne told the judge back in December.

After the initial strike, Champagne said he texted Melissa's mother to tell her she bit her lip, but that it was no need to come home.

Champagne then described how he hit the toddler with the refrigerator, and knocked her down several times because she wouldn't stop crying.

After the two watched television for a while, Melissa spilled water on her clothes. Champagne said after he took the toddler's clothes off, he sexually assaulted her.

"You never thought to tell anyone about the injuries?" asked Oneida County Court Judge Barry Donalty

"No," Champagne replied.

According to Champagne, Calhoun suffered four blows to the head before she was put in her room to sleep. The Calhoun family arrived home around 1 a.m. at which time they "peeked" into the children's room to see if they were asleep.

The next morning, Champagne woke up around 7:30 a.m., just before the Calhoun family discovered Melissa was dead.

What's On