Tools

Mother of 6-month old fire victim mourns her child

By ALLISON NORLIAN

UTICA, N.Y. (WKTV)- A fire ripped through a home at 1508 Dudley Ave., in Utica around 10 Sunday morning, leaving a 6-month old infant dead and a family displaced.

The mother of the baby, Lul Mkoma, says the day started like any other. She fed her baby, Marian, in the morning and went to the basement to do laundry. When she came back upstairs, she was overwhelmed by intense smoke.

The child's uncle, Omar Jibril said, "Her older daughter comes running and her daughter is screaming and yelling mom, mom there is smoke coming out of rooms and I don't know which one it is. The whole kitchen, the whole living room, the whole dining room, the whole house is all smoked."

Mkoma's motherly instincts went into action. She got her four other children out of the house. She ran to get the baby out of the room but could not open the door. When she finally did open the door, the room was completely engulfed in flames.

"She tried to open the door and she opened hard to get the door and she burned her hand," Jibril said. "She went inside, she couldn't go in the room. All she saw was flames coming out. She tried to check if she could go into the other side, the back door but she couldn't get in so she figured her baby was already gone."

Friends and family supported Mkoma and her family during this tragedy. Mkoma said she appreciates the support, but feels numb.

"I tried to save my daughter and I still couldn't do it and I regret, why did I make my daughter sleep in there?"

Mkoma believes the fire started inside the baby's bedroom.

 Authorities have yet to confirmed where the fire started.
 

Connect with Allison Norlian on Facebook and Twitter.

What's On