Tools

Rutger Street fire deemed accidental from smoking

By WKTV News

UTICA, N.Y. (WKTV) - Firefighters say a Wednesday evening fire on Rutger Street in the City of Utica has been deemed accidental due to smoking.

Crews responded to 1019 Rutger Street around 7:45 p.m. on Wednesday after a person passing by saw smoke in the house and alerted the occupants of the second floor. Fire crews say that when they arrived they saw smoke and flames coming from the upstairs side porch of the building, owned by Pauline Nicotera

While there were people inside the structure at the time of the fire, officials say every occupant was able to escape without injury.

The fire was confined and extinguished with minimal damage to the exterior and interior, Utica Fire Officials said and investigators determined it began on the second floor porch area and spread to the exterior portion of the structure.

The cause of the fire has been official determined accidental from smoking.

Most Popular

What's On