Whitesboro Boys Deny V-V-S' Knapp Section III Wins Record-Breaker


MARCY, N.Y. (WKTV) - V-V-S' Jason Dalton made a buzzer-beating 3-pointer at the end of the first quarter but could not duplicate the feat at the end of the fourth, and Whitesboro denied Red Devils head coach Al Knapp his would-be Section III record-breaking 521st win with a 47-44 victory.

With the score tied at 34 after three quarters and at 41 with just over two minutes left, V-V-S went up 44-41 on a 3-pointer by Joe Spinella and Whitesboro came back to go up 45-44 on a steal and layup by Junior Woodard.  V-V-S' Adam Kemp then drew a foul with 37 seconds left, but missed the front end of a 1-and-1, capping a 1-for-7 free throw performance for the Red Devils in the final quarter.  Whitesboro's M.J. Hajec countered by making two free throws with 22 seconds left to put the Warriors up 47-44, Woodard then blocked a 3-point attempt by Evan Croll, and Whitesboro was fouled with just six seconds left.

But the game was not over yet.

Mike Sullivan missed both free throw attempts and Kemp rebounded the second and called timeout with 5.3 seconds left, keeping the Red Devils' hopes alive.  After calling another timeout once the ball reached halfcourt, V-V-S set up for an inbounds pass with 2.4 seconds remaining.  Dalton got the ball just off the top of the key and took a clean shot from NBA-range, but it clanged off the front of the rim to seal a Senior Night win for Whitesboro.

Woodard was the only Warrior to score in double-figures, finishing with 20, while Croll was the only Red Devil to do so with 12.  Kemp, the 6-foot-10 monster with no height equal, was held to just nine points.

Whitesboro is now 13-4 overall and 10-2 in the Tri Valley League while V-V-S is 13-4 (8-4).  Knapp's next shot to break the wins record is Friday night at Camden.

The game started slowly with Whitesboro opening a 10-2 lead over the majority of the first quarter.  V-V-S closed it to 10-7 at the buzzer and went ahead 14-13 in the second.  A 7-0 Whitesboro run put the Warriors back up 20-14, but the Red Devils responded with an 11-2 closing run to lead 25-22 at the half.

Things intensified in the third quarter with four ties and three lead changes and neither team leading by more than three points before going into the fourth tied at 34.  The final quarter featured another tie and four more lead changes, with Whitesboro claiming the last one.


What's On