Several weapons found after Herkimer standoff
HERKIMER, N.Y. (WKTV) - A standoff in the Village of Herkimer comes to a peaceful end Monday night. Officials say they were notified around 3:45 Monday afternoon that an emotionally disturbed armed man was inside a home on Pine Avenue.
Shortly afterwards, law enforcement officials from surrounding areas were called in and started going door to door, telling resident they needed to leave their homes for safety reasons.
People living on portions of Walnut Street, Maple Grove and other streets in the area were evacuated. Then, around 7:30 P.M. police say the 21-year-old peacefully surrendered. Herkimer Police Chief Joseph Malone says there were at least six guns inside the home, maybe more, but he was not sure yet if they were loaded.
Officials say the suspect did not actually threaten to harm police or himself but he was armed and refused to leave the home. "He had the weapons. He was having an emotional issue and that's as far as I can go into that but there were no threats to anyone either outside the residence or inside," said Chief Malone.
The investigation into where those guns came from is now underway. We're told the man was alone in the home during the standoff. It was a family member who notified police of the situation earlier in the day.
The man has been taken to the hospital where he is undergoing a psychiatric evaluation. No charges have been filed. The man's identity is being released because of the mental health laws.
"As of right now, there are no charges," said Chief Malone. "It depends on what we come up with in the search and after we investigate it more thoroughly. Right now the important thing was to make sure that everyone was safe, keep people out of the area and make sure no one was harmed."