UTICA, N.Y. -- Utica officials are recommending trick-or-treating take place between 4 and 7 p.m. on Halloween this year to reduce litter and disruption in neighborhoods.
Light-colored costumes are encouraged, as well as the use of reflective tape or glow-in-the-dark items so children can be seen in the dark.
Kids under 12
- Always go trick-or-treating with an adult
- Know to call 911 in case they get lost
- Know their home phone number or parents cell number
Older kids who trick-or-treat on their own
- Know their planned route and when they’ll be coming home
- Carry a cell phone
- Stay in groups at all times
- Only go to houses with the porch lights on
- Stay away from candles or any other flames
It is also recommended that parents and teens carry flashlights while trick-or-treating.