CHICKEN VEGETABLE SOUP
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 7 cups regular or reduced sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (10-ounce) can chunk-style chicken, undrained, or 2 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 1 cup dried ditalini or other small pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices provolone cheese, each cut into 8 wedges (optional)
- 1/3 cup pesto (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot; add garlic, parsley, and basil. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in chicken stock or broth, vegetables, chicken, and ditalini.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until ditalini is tender, 8 to 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Top each serving with 4 wedges of cheese, then a dollop of pesto, if desired. Makes 8 servings.