Utica, N.Y. - The annual Boilermaker Committee Run was held this morning, the Sunday before Boilermaker Sunday. It gives members of the Boilermaker Road Race Committee who can't run the actual race the chance to run the full course.
Boilermaker Race Director Jim Stasaitis says this is possibly the warmest Committee Run he can remember, "I talked to a couple runners who say, boy you just feel it in your legs, cardiovascular is fine, but the legs just cramped up, cramped up the legs terrible, so it's tough."
Runner John Nicotera ran all 9.3 miles Sunday morning and agreed the conditions were tough, "It's a mental battle. You’re really just kind of in your head, relax your fine, trust your body, you know what you’re going through, just don’t be stupid, just stay hydrated."
The Boilermaker is next Sunday, July 8th, and the conditions are expected to not be as extreme as today, but Stasaitis says he and the other committee members continue to keep an eye on things, "We've been monitoring the long range forecast and I'm no meteorologist but it shows that the cold front or cooler front will be coming in on Friday, looks like some scattered thunderstorms possibly Saturday, and Sunday is supposed to be low 80's and the humidity is supposed to drop, so that's good for us."
- Boilermaker Committee Run - A hot one!
- Boilermaker 2018 forecast
- Event information for Utica National Kids' Run on Boilermaker weekend
- Boilermaker announces Corporate Cup winners
- Boilermaker Kids' Run back for its 30th year after last year's cancellation
- Boilermaker introduces Mark Donovan as new president
- Boilermaker post-race party beer announced
- Boilermaker Walk cancelled due to low turnout
- Boilermaker announces 2018 Charity Bib partners
- Boilermaker Bound: Full coverage on WKTV!