UTICA – You’ll see a lot of security at the Boilermaker Road Race in Utica on Sunday, but there’s also a lot of security that you won’t see.
Race Director Jim Stasaitis says that both will combine to keep you safe as you navigate the famed 15K course.
Security staff have been meeting monthly about course and runner safety, for the last 10 months. When it comes to race day, security is a group effort.
"Yorkville, we have Rome, we have New Hartford, we have Frankfort coming in. We've got a lot of people, lot of boots on the ground," Stasaitis said. "We're going to have Homeland Security, there's going to be FBI involved in this. Everybody should feel safe."
Security staff also practiced drills to prepare for this year’s race day.
The Boilermaker Road Race Safety and Security Team and local law enforcement are asking Boilermaker runners and spectators to cooperate with the following safety guidelines:
- Weapons and fireworks are forbidden at all Boilermaker venues
- Please refrain from bringing bags, backpacks, coolers, packages, or parcels of any Boilermaker venue.
- All baggage is subject to search by a law enforcement officer or a Boilermaker safety and security official who will tag and deem it safe to enter the venue. If individuals do not wish to have their baggage searched, they will be denied entry.
- For runners, transportation of baggage from the start area to the finish area is available via the race baggage truck. If you wish to utilize the race baggage truck, please place said baggage in a clear plastic bag.
- Drones and unmanned aircraft are forbidden to operate at any Boilermaker venue due to federal regulations which govern their operation.
- Finally, we implore everyone to be alert and aware of your surroundings. “If you see something, say something” and call 9-1-1 for all emergencies.
- Safety guidelines, precautions in place for Boilermaker Sunday
- Road closures: Don't get stuck on closed roads Boilermaker Sunday
- Boilermaker 2018 forecast
- Boilermaker announces Corporate Cup winners
- Boilermaker safety: What you can and can't bring to the big race
- Boilermaker Committee Run - A hot one!
- Boilermaker introduces Mark Donovan as new president
- Boilermaker post-race party beer announced
- Boilermaker Walk cancelled due to low turnout
- Boilermaker announces 2018 Charity Bib partners