Utica, N.Y. - The Utica Police and Fire Departments held their final training run,Tuesday, before they go head-to-head on Boilermaker Sunday.
In it's 14th year, the Bob Ingalls Police and Firefighter Competition takes the top five runners from each department and averages their times during the race to determine which department earns the Public Safety championship trophy and bragging rights for the next year.
The firefighters have been victorious the last two years.
New to the race this year, a sponsorship from the Sneaker Store, which provided coaches and equipment to both teams.
Also, Tuesday's training run marked the first time ever that the police and firefighters ran together before the race.
"We generally don't get together before Boilermaker Sunday so this is a great opportunity to get out, run together, see how everyone's feeling, kind of get an idea of how everything is going to go Sunday morning," said Utica Fire Department team captain, Phil Trzcinski. "We look forward to it."
The Sneaker Store was happy to get involved this year.
"We're always really involved with the Boilermaker, but this is the first time that we've been involved in any type of sponsorship role," said Josh Belisle, store owner. "We're super thankful for our first responders so we jumped at the chance to take on the sponsorship."
- UPD and UFD train together for first time before Boilermaker competition
- Boilermaker 2018 forecast
- First-time Boilermaker runner? Apply now for Go The Distance!
- Daniel Romanchuk wins Boilermaker 15K wheelchair race for 3rd time
- Gabriel Geay of Tanzania wins Boilermaker 15K for first time
- Boilermaker announces Corporate Cup winners
- First-time Boilermaker runner? 1 day left to apply for Go The Distance!
- Boilermaker Committee Run - A hot one!
- Boilermaker introduces Mark Donovan as new president
- Boilermaker post-race party beer announced