HERKIMER, N.Y. - Construction of the new Herkimer County Correctional Facility continues, and those overseeing the project say it's been a smooth process so far.
A lot of work was done over the summer, cells were put in, walls were put up, and the roof was put on.
As winter approaches, the last steps for the outside of the building is to finish the roof and get the building closed up before the winter weather hits.
"The roofing is almost complete, they will be starting to do one more section of it next week and then that will be all closed up," Sheri Ferdula, Herkimer County Budget Officer said.
After that, most of the remaining construction will be happening on the inside of the new building.
"The masons are continuing to finish up the walls, especially the interior walls so the electricians and the plumbers can get in during the winter time and do their work inside," Ferdula said. "We are working on purchasing the furniture, fixtures, and equipment, the radio systems, the security systems so that while the buildings closed over the winter, we can be in there just getting all that stuff moving and started and so far so good, everything seems to be moving along well."
Ferdula says right now the project is on track for the scheduled completion date of June 2020.
Once the building is complete, the jail could be up and running by September.
- An updated timeline on construction for new Herkimer Jail
- UPDATE: Police ID victim, driver in fatal Herkimer crash
- Herkimer County approves 2018 budget
- Herkimer residents vote to approve Capital Project
- Herkimer Zoning Board turns down Rehab Center
- Herkimer Salvation Army in need of donations
- Herkimer County Legislature passes 2020 budget
- Chenango Ave Bridge construction underway
- New York State Department of Transportation give updates on Route 5S construction project
- UPDATE: Too late for common council to stop construction on Sunset Avenue apartments