UPDATE: New York State Police have identified the woman who was struck and killed in an accident in Herkimer Wednesday night, as well as the woman who hit her.
Police say 22-year-old Kaitlyn McCloskey of Utica was walking along State Route 5 in Herkimer around 8:23 p.m. Wednesday when 31-year-old Shararhonda Hall of Ilion struck her with her vehicle.
Police say Hall told officers that she knew she hit something, but she did not realize the struck a person. Hall told police that she immediately turned back and didn’t see McCloskey lying on the shoulder of the roadway.
Hall then went back to her home and contacted 911 to report the incident, according to police.
Hall is charged with misdemeanor second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.
UPDATE: State police say they have located the driver and vehicle involved in the fatal hit-and-run accident that occurred around 8:23 p.m. in the town of Herkimer Wednesday night.
According to the Herkimer County district attorney, the driver contacted state police.
Police say the investigation is ongoing. We will provide more information as it becomes available.
HERKIMER -- Law enforcement are on the lookout for the driver involved in a fatal car-pedestrian accident in the town of Herkimer.
The accident happened shortly before 9:00 p.m. Wednesday. A section of route 5 in Herkimer is closed off as a result.
The road was blocked off for about five miles, just east of the Frankfort bridge.
State troopers have confirmed that the victim is a woman. She was taken to St. Elizabeth Medical Center, where she later died.
Police are searching for the driver who hit the person. The car is described as a tan colored Subaru, with damage to the passenger's side mirror and headlight.
Anyone with information is asked to contact state police at 315-366-6000 or call 911.
We will provide updated information as it comes in.
- UPDATE: Police ID victim, driver in fatal Herkimer crash
- Updates from State Police on the fatal crash involving an Otsego County sheriff
- An updated timeline on construction for new Herkimer Jail
- Herkimer County approves 2018 budget
- Update: police release names involved in Cedarville crash
- Herkimer residents vote to approve Capital Project
- Herkimer Zoning Board turns down Rehab Center
- Herkimer Salvation Army in need of donations
- Utica police cracking down on drunk drivers during the holidays
- Police release victims names in Maryland newsroom shooting