BOONVILLE, N.Y. - Hundreds gathered at Erwin Park in Boonville for an early Fourth of July celebration.
Every year, Boonville celebrates the 4th of July, but this year was more than a celebration, it was a fundraiser for the village's $2.1 million project to update and upgrade Erwin Park.
"We just come to support Erwin Park and have a good time," Mike Parks from Forestport said.
Those working on the project say the project won't cost taxpayers any money.
"It's not going to cost the village taxpayer one penny," Rhona Vigus, with the 'Friends of Erwin Park' committee said. "Its all going to be done through fundraising, government grants, gifts from individuals so its a big project, a lot of work, but we're doing great."
The project started this past spring, and there are already a few things completed.
"The walking trail has been completed, the parking lot expansion has been completed, lighting has been put in," Kelly Ulrich, with the 'Friends of Erwin Park' committee said.
Other plans include a splash-pad for children and handicapped, a boardwalk with a canoe and kayak launch, amphitheater, and a much needed cement bottom pool.
"We have one of the last sand bottom pools in New York State, and it's very difficult to keep it healthy," Vigus said.
The celebration included music, food vendors, games, fireworks, and the biggest attraction, a canoe race.
"We came down to watch the canoe races because we thought it would really be cute and fun and it is, its really fun to watch them," Diane Risely from Boonville said.
Vigus says many people were excited for the canoe races.
"They love the canoe race, so they want to have it next year again," Vigus said.
This project is expected to take about five years to complete.
"I think that it'll promote growth in Boonville," Ulrich said. "I think this will be the jewel of Boonville at some point in time."
- Hundreds gather at Erwin Park in Boonville for Fourth of July Celebration
- Utica events see large crowds for Fourth of July celebrations
- Cooperstown celebrates the Fourth of July at the Farmer's Museum
- Fourth of July Parade in Clinton
- Rome celebrates the Fourth of July with a ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- Hundreds of people celebrate Bosnian Independence Day
- Felony hearing waived for Boonville murder suspect
- Santa and his reindeer visit Boonville
- The town of Springfield packs the streets for the Fourth of July parade
- Boonville auditions for new HGTV show 'Home Town Takeover'