ONEIDA, N.Y. - Assemblyman John Salka hosted an open house at his district office in Oneida Thursday night to meet people in the community and talk about what his goals are for his district.
Salka was elected in November 2018 and he is a Republican member of the New York State Assembly, representing District 121, which encompasses all of Madison County and portions of Oneida and Otsego counties. He is taking over for former Democratic Assemblyman Bill Magee who served the 121st District for almost 30 years.
As the Republican representative, Salka says he has a lot of the same goals as Magee. He says there are a lot of things he plans to accomplish in office.
Salka's three main goals are health care, small businesses, and education.
“My goals are economic development, better health care, we want to make sure that we try to put some kind of control on the property taxes that are out of hand in upstate New York, for that matter, through through New York as a whole and there are other goals that I want to do to make sure that my community gets their fair share of state funding," Salka said.
Salka says his 30 years of experience in the health care field, as well as his seven years of experience with education, working on the school board for the town of Brookfield, will help him accomplish these goals. He also says he has already submitted a number of bills that have to do with agriculture, the local economy, and local infrastructure.
- Salka outlines health care, small business, education as 121st district goals
- A local animal shelter outlines plans for state funding
- Mayor Palmieri outlines tax decrease included in proposed budget
- Mental health education required in New York State schools
- Locals rally for education funding and campaign finance reform
- Utica school board candidates discuss education at community forum
- RFA using prevention education to stop students from vaping
- Hospice & Palliative Care hosts 'Light Up a Life'
- Local United Way holds 2nd annual ‘100 Women Who Care’
- Mug Club: The BBC Band at Masonic Care Community