ONEONTA -- Oneonta's common council discussed new community developments at their public hearing Tuesday night.
Tensions were high at the meeting due to concerns regarding Community Development Block Grants.
The city of Oneonta is considering submitting applications for several grants worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and many residents don’t agree.
The grants would be used towards local businesses.
Nick’s Diner could receive $230,000. The Wilbur Lake Reservoir Dam Repairs and Improvement project could receive $750,000. The city also plans to apply for a $200,000 grant to help small businesses.
The biggest concerns where regarding Nick’s Diner. Residents brought up concerns about how taxpayer dollars are being used.
"I’m concerned about this whole grant application process, and whether or not $230,000 to basically pay someone for having develop Nick's diner from a $90,000 property that no one would buy. He invests his money in it and now he wishes to recoup his money by asking the state to give him a grant for it."
Oneonta Mayor Gary Herzig says over 30 local businesses have received these grants in the past, but not all of those businesses have had success after receiving the grants.
At the meeting council members were supposed to vote on whether to move forward in the application process for the grants, but Mayor Herzig postponed voting until a later date.
- Oneonta Common Council discuss state grants at meeting
- Utica Common Council holds first meeting of the year
- Utica Common Council discuss proposed budget that could raise taxes for residents
- Utica Common Council passes budget for the 2018-2019 fiscal year
- Utica Common Council postpone motion to reconsider term limits law
- People against proposed Oneonta decompressor hold public meeting
- Utica Police Residency Requirement to be Voted on by Common Council
- Oneida Common Council proposes law regarding raising chickens in the city
- Holland Patent school board members discuss threat at meeting
- Boilermaker staff discuss security at first meeting of the season