ROME -- The Rome Fire Department is helping locals get prepared for a career as a firefighter.
The fire department held an informational session in preparation of the upcoming Civil Service firefighter exam.
The session included information on becoming a firefighter, the physical agility test, the fire academy training and how to prepare for the entrance exam.
Deputy Fire Chief, Mark Kohlbrenner, says he hopes to make the department more reflective of the community, by recruiting more females and minorities.
Kohlbrenner wants anyone interested in becoming a firefighter to know just how rewarding the career is.
"The biggest benefit to being a firefighter in my eyes is helping people," Kohlbrenner said. "It's the most rewarding thing in my life, is to go out and help somebody that's in trouble, or someone that needs help and doesn't know where else to turn."
Kohlbrenner says that in order to take on a career as a firefighter, the first step is to take the Civil Service exam.
The New York State Civil Service firefighter entrance exam is given in March of each year.
- Rome Fire Department helps locals enter a career as a firefighter
- Rome Firefighters respond to house fire caused by outdoor grill
- Dryer lint buildup causes Rome house fire
- Ilion Fire Department names new chief
- Poland Fire Department holds annual Chinese Auction
- Mug Club: Maynard Fire Department Halloween Party
- Rome Rescue Mission celebrates Christmas
- RCIL holds fundraiser to help local seniors
- Local radio club helps Florence victims
- Oriskany Fire Department gets pet rescue oxygen masks