WESTMORELAND, N.Y. – Music students at Westmoreland Junior/Senior High School haven’t been able to perform in person due to the coronavirus pandemic, but two music teachers found a creative way to feature the students by recording a holiday album.
‘Christmas Together’ is a collection of 10 holiday songs performed by students in the Select Choir, Broadway Voices, Saxophone Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble and Brass Ensemble.
“In mid-summer, I realized our lives were not going to return to normal this school year,” said Emily Davis, music teacher at Westmoreland Central School District. “I began to wonder what I could do to give my students an artistic outlet and continue to connect with our community when they weren’t allowed to be ‘together.’ The album, ‘Christmas Together,’ enables students to still be ‘together’ and perform for our community - - just in a different way.”
Davis worked with fellow music teacher Kristyn Cutler to bring the idea to fruition.
“Performing has been, and will always be, one of the most special ways to express ourselves, show off our hard work and spread holiday cheer,” said Cutler. “During this time of year, our groups are typically so busy hustling around our community, sharing the gift of music. We have missed the laughs and smiles we bring to community members, but I’m so excited we were able to find a new way to still spread the same cheer.”
Below is a list of songs performed by the students:
- Sing We Now of Christmas “Noel Nouvelet” – Select Chorus
- The Twelve Tunes of Christmas – Saxophone Ensemble
- Joy to the World! – Brass Ensemble
- Veni, Veni Emmanuel Ero Cras (I Will Come) – Select Chorus
- Silent Night – Jazz Ensemble
- Ding! Dong! Merrily on High – Select Chorus
- Carol of the Bells – Brass Ensemble
- Patapan Fantasia – Select Chorus
- Funky Ol’ Saint Nick – Jazz Ensemble
- Elf – A Medley from the Broadway Musical – Broadway Voices, featuring:
- A Christmas Song
To listen to or download the music, click here.