STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Teen treated for burns, smoke inhalation after clothes accidentally set on fire

A 15-year-old was hospitalized for treatment of his burns after accidentally setting his clothes on fire in the 100 b...

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 6:27 AM
Updated: Dec 28, 2017 6:27 AM

A 15-year-old was hospitalized for treatment of his burns after accidentally setting his clothes on fire in the 100 block of Pleasant Court Monday.

Dispatchers received a call advising of a grass fire around 3:50 p.m. Fire personnel arrived at the scene to find the fire extinguished and a teenage boy suffering from burns to his hands, arms and face. The boy was reportedly riding a bicycle in a nearby drainage ditch behind local apartment when his clothes ignited, causing burns to his body.

At the time of the incident, the boy had some type of device containing lighter fluid. He was treated at the scene and taken to Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters for treatment of second-degree burns.

Fire officials say this incident was not a Christmas-related fire. There did not appear to be any structural damage to the residence where the fire took place.

There is no further information.

Article Comments

Utica
Clear
71° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 63°
Feels Like: 71°
Oneonta
Scattered Clouds
72° wxIcon
Hi: 81° Lo: 63°
Feels Like: 72°
Herkimer
Clear
71° wxIcon
Hi: 83° Lo: 63°
Feels Like: 71°
Thendara
Clear
71° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 59°
Feels Like: 71°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather
Click here to learn more about A Healthier Mohawk Valley
Less that 50 Golf Cards left ... only $79.99 for 28 courses
Great California Adventure with Callihan Marshall

Click for Boilermaker Results & Coverage