UPDATE: Rome police say a man shot his friend with a pellet gun on Tuesday night and then lied to police about it.
Police say three men were hanging out at an apartment near the Burger King in the 100 block of South Madison Street when one of them, who is 34 years old, walked to Burger King to get food. Police say one of the man’s friends shot him in the back with a pellet gun on his way into Burger King, and as he was walking back to the apartment with the food, his friend shot him again, this time in the chest.
The man fell to the ground and his friends then called 911, and police say the two friends who were in the apartment made up a story to tell police so that they wouldn’t be implicated. The men told police that they heard a bang while they were inside the apartment, then saw their friend lying in the parking lot, and they said they didn't know who had shot him.
The victim is currently in stable condition at St. Elizabeth Medical Center, but he is not cooperating with police.
Police say charges are pending, and they are not yet releasing the identities of the three men involved.
We’ll provide more information as it becomes available.
ROME, N.Y. - The Rome Police Department is investigating a late night shooting in the city that sent one person to the hospital with a gunshot wound to the chest.
The shooting happened around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday in the area of South Madison Street, near Burger King.
Police tell us that one male victim was taken to St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica with non-life threatening injuries, and he is currently in stable condition. His identity is not being released at this time.
As of Wednesday morning, no arrests have been made.
Rome police are asking the public to come forward with information. If you saw anything out of the ordinary around the time of the shooting, you are asked to call police at 315-339-7715.
We will provide more information as it becomes available.
- UPDATE: Police say man shot friend with pellet gun in Rome
- Rome man charged in pellet gun shooting sentenced to probation
- 3 Rome men charged in pellet gun shooting incident outside Burger King
- NEWSTALK: FURever Friend Humane Society of Rome
- UPDATE: Rome Police say missing man has been found
- Pellet gun used in attempt to shoot out Morris school cameras; 2 students charged
- Rome Police looking for suspects after shots fired incident
- 16-year-old male shot in Rome
- Rome Police: Man threatens and sends gun magazines to estranged wife
- Police: Teen struck by pellets from duck hunters in Camden area