NEW HARTFORD – Police have released the name of the man who was killed in a motorcycle crash Thursday evening.
New Hartford police say around 7:38 p.m. Thursday, 47-year-old Gregory Penree of New Hartford was driving his motorcycle eastbound on Route 840 and he was taking the ramp to Route 5 westbound when he lost control of his motorcycle.
Police say Penree was unable to regain control of the motorcycle and he was ejected from the bike, which came to rest in the grass near the road. No other vehicles were involved in the crash.
Penree was taken to St. Elizabeth Medical Center, where he died from his injuries at 9:15 p.m.
Police say their investigation into the crash continues.
One person has died from their injuries after a motorcycle crash Thursday night.
Police and fire officials were dispatched to a section of Route 840 by the ramp to Route 5 west on the New Hartford-Utica line shortly before 8 p.m. Thursday.
According to a press release from the New Hartford Police Department, the operator of the motorcycle suffered injuries and was taken to St. Elizabeth Medical Center in serious condition where they were pronounced dead. The name of the driver is not being released until family is notified.
Sections of the highway were closed off to traffic while crews investigated and reconstructed the crash, but all roads are now back open.
At this time the cause of the crash is still unknown. Police say they will release more details once they've completed their investigation.
We will continue to update you on this story as more information becomes available.
- UPDATE: Police ID New Hartford man killed in motorcycle crash
- Police ID Utica man killed in crash involving motorized scooter
- Police ID Utica man killed in Higby Road crash
- UPDATE: Utica police ID man killed in Bleecker Street shooting
- Mohawk police identify man killed in motorcycle crash
- UPDATE: Police ID victim, driver in fatal Herkimer crash
- UPDATE: Police ID 12-year-old killed in Otter Lake boat crash
- New Hartford police seek ID of man in grand larceny investigation
- New Hartford man injured in Verona crash
- Mohawk man dies after motorcycle crash