DURHAMVILLE – One person was injured in an overnight fire in Durhamville, according to the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office.
The fire at 5296 Charles Street was reported just after midnight on Wednesday. Fire officials say it began as a garage fire and it had already spread to the house by the time fire crews arrived on scene.
Deputies say 54-year-old Roger Janczek sustained injuries to his hands and face and he was transported to Upstate Medical University, where he’s listed in stable condition. Durhamville Fire Chief Eric Wilcox says Janczek was in the garage trying to start a wood stove with gasoline, and there was also paint in the garage, which is highly flammable.
Two other residents, 62-year-old Stanley Janczek and 85-year-old Betty Janczek, were able to make it out of the home uninjured.
Officials say the fire took about an hour and a half to put out. Multiple crews had to be called in, including Durhamville, New London, Oneida Castle, Verona, North Bay and Sylvan Beach.
The Oneida County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the fire.