UPDATE: New York State Police have released more information on the tractor trailer and car crash that killed an Oriskany Falls woman late Tuesday night.
Police say around 11:23 p.m., 40-year-old Anthony Lopez of Yorkville was driving a Chevrolet Cruz eastbound on the Thruway in Marcy when he lost control of the vehicle and struck the south guiderail. Lopez’ vehicle then came to rest facing south, blocking both lanes of traffic.
Police say 47-year-old Surindra Phulnauth of the Bronx was driving a Freightliner tractor trailer eastbound and they were unable to avoid the disabled vehicle, and the tractor trailer struck the car on its passenger side.
Police say the car’s passenger, 23-year-old Bridget Shantal of Oriskany Falls, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Lopez was transported by ambulance to St. Elizabeth Medical Center to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries, and Phulnauth was transported by ambulance to St. Luke’s hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Police say the accident is currently being reconstructed, and no charges have been filed at this time.
MARCY – One person was killed in a two-car crash on the New York State Thruway in Marcy late Tuesday night, according to New York State Police.
At approximately 11:23 p.m. Tuesday, troopers responded to the Thruway eastbound in Marcy for a report of a two-car accident.
Police say one person involved in the crash was killed, and several others have been transported to local hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries. The identity of the person who was killed will not be released until family is notified.
The New York State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit and Bureau of Criminal Investigation are investigating the crash. Police say Thruway Maintenance is also assisting at the scene.
Police say that ore information will be released as it becomes available.
- UPDATE: Police ID Oriskany Falls woman killed in accident with tractor trailer
- Tractor Trailer Safety Drill
- Tractor trailer rollover closes roadway
- Crews respond to tractor trailer accident on the Thruway
- UPDATE: Florida man killed, woman injured in tractor trailer crash on Thruway
- Oriskany Street accident causes traffic delays
- Section of Rt. 20 in Richfield Springs closed due to tractor trailer accident
- Tractor trailer accident closes Route 365 off-ramp in Rome for hours
- UPDATE: Boil water advisory lifted in Oriskany
- UPDATE: Police ID New Hartford man killed in motorcycle crash