UTICA, N.Y. -- Police are investigating a shooting on the 1300 block of Lincoln Avenue that resulted in a ten-year-old being shot in the arm while she was sleeping. Police say the call came in just after midnight Thursday night.
Multiple shots were fired on the street. Neighbors believe that it was a drive-by shooting.
"It was ultimately learned that a shots fired incident had occurred on the 1300 block of Lincoln Ave. One of the rounds was stray and the building on the second floor and entered the bedroom where she was sleeping and struck her," said Brian Coromato.
Going door to door, neighbors along the street share concerns about the safety of the neighborhood. The ones that we spoke to say, shootings have happened there before.
"It's astounding every single day its somebody, somebody getting hurt and it's absolutely ridiculous," said Heather Vaillancourt.
Police are now combing through security camera footage from throughout the area to try and piece together what happened.
"Obviously we don't believe that it was directed where the female was injured. At this point, we don't know exactly what occurred and that's what we are trying to locate and find out," said Coromato.
The 10-year-old that was shot is in stable condition at a local hospital. She is expected to be just fine.
Police are asking the public if they have any information about the shooting to contact Utica Police at (315) 223-3510.
- 10-year-old Utica girl shot in arm while sleeping
- 10-year-old busts bullies with powerful song
- Arrests made in Utica shots-fired investigation
- State police: Man armed with knife fatally shot by trooper
- Utica police investigate false reports of an armed robbery
- Utica man charged with falsely reporting armed robbery
- UPDATE: Utica police make arrest in armed home invasion robbery
- Community comes together to help 10-year-old boy with cancer
- Utica police investigating reported shots fired on Blandina Street
- 2 Utica teens charged in shots fired investigation