HERKIMER, N.Y. - It’s playoff season and that means tailgate time for the Waterfront Grill in Herkimer.
For 16 years, former Assemblyman Marc Butler and owners Barb and Rocky Fiaco have been raising money for United Way using football.
"I've been with my friend here since I've been in business. And he approached me 16 years ago with this United Way tailgate party and its probably one of the things we look forward to every year," said Fiaco
Butler is just two weeks into his retirement from the state Assembly.
"As my wife says I’m doing the things that I haven’t done at home for 23 years, so that will keep me busy for a while," said Butler.
All of the proceeds from the fundraiser went toward helping the United Way support others in the community, including the family impacted by the deadly house fire in Herkimer.
"We had a great tragedy as everyone knows here in Herkimer a few days ago. So, we are also taking up a collection to help that family out. And it kind of underscores that you never know what life is going to throw at you. Many of the agencies United Way helps, the Salvation Army, the Red Cross, all of those organizations are the ones that step in when tragedy strikes, and it kind of re-emphasizes what we are trying to accomplish here today," said Butler.
Representatives with United Way explained all the important work they do and how it relies on the community for success.
"United Way is helping 1 of 4 people in our community. So, we need all of our community members to engage in giving back. Whether it's volunteering, making a donation to help make sure we continue to do that work," said Kristyn Bucciero Beckwith
Organizers say that it was another successful year and look forward to what 2019 has to bring.
- Waterfront Grill tailgate party benefits locals, including Herkimer fire victims
- Who will own Utica’s waterfront property?
- Assemblyman Butler hosts 15th annual United Way Tailgate Party
- Three boys, including 1-year-old, killed in Herkimer fire
- Prohibition party held to benefit MVHS
- Prohibition Party held to benefit MVHS
- 72 Tavern and Grill hosting Kentucky Derby party
- RAM trucks recalled for faulty tailgates
- Local craft fair benefits HALO
- 2nd Annual Boo Bash to benefit Herkimer VFW