UPDATE: Woodgate Fire Chief Anthony Sege says the dog that was reported missing after the fire at a Forestport camp on Tuesday was found dead inside the structure, and the cause of death was the fire.
FORESTPORT – One person was injured and a dog is missing following a fire at a camp in Forestport Tuesday morning.
The fire at 1645 Bear Creek Road broke out around 7:30 a.m. Fire officials say the resident woke up to find their camp on fire, and they suffered minor burns.
Officials say a dog was also injured and then ran off, and the dog is still missing.
Woodgate Fire Chief Anthony Sege says that getting to the fire was tough because the camp is set more than a thousand feet back from the road, on an unimproved roadway. Crews got the trucks as close to the fire as they could, then ran hoses back to the camp as they battled the fire in heat and humidity.
“We were able to bring water supply to the fire truck, but we had to go another five to 600 feet through the woods to bring water to the firefighters so they could do active firefighting and try to extinguish the fire,” Sege said.
Sege says the heat presented another challenge to the fire crews, because firefighters are able to work 10-15 minutes and then have to take a break.
There is no word yet on what caused the fire, and the family continues to search for their dog. We’ll provide more information as it becomes available.
This story has been updated to reflect that one person was injured, not two, after fire officials provided further information.
- UPDATE: Chief says dog believed to be missing died in Forestport fire
- Three injured in Forestport fire, home destroyed
- Another inch of snow in Forestport
- Person identified in deadly Forestport crash
- Fundraising effort underway for family displaced in Forestport house fire
- Dog dies in fire on Addison street
- Parents voice concerns about possible closing of Forestport Elementary School
- Rome man purchases Buffalo Head Restaurant in Forestport Station
- Vote on Forestport Elementary School tabled until next week
- After unanimous vote, Forestport Elementary School is closing