Rome, N.Y. - The local chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America held its 8th annual Patriot 10K/5K Run/Walk on Saturday.
It was held once again at the Griffiss Business & Technology Park in Rome.
This year's event is in memory of U.S. Army Corporal John Sigsbee of Waterville who was killed in Iraq in 2008 at the age of 21.
Thomas Buono, the president of Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 944 in Utica, says it's important to honor a different service member each year, "Because we want them to be remembered, their families gave the ultimate sacrifice along with the soldier and their main concern is that they never want to have their son, in this case, forgotten, so we always want to make that there is a a picture to the name because they gave the ultimate sacrifice."
Buono says the money raised at the event is used by Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 944 to help local veterans in need.
The event also features a wheelchair race.
- 2019 Patriot 5K/10K Run/Walk honors Waterville soldier
- Mug Club: 8th Annual Patriot Run & Walk
- West Point honors Buffalo Soldiers.
- Waterville community remembers transgender teen
- Mercy flight used in Waterville accident
- $967,747 raised from 2019 Heart Run and Walk
- Notre Dame, Waterville's run in the state tournament comes to an end
- National Guard to honor Civil War's Irish Brigade soldiers
- Ohio student suspended for project meant to honor fallen soldiers