The Utica Fire Academy graduated its 33rd class on Tuesday morning, and the 21 new graduates will be headed to 11 different fire departments throughout the state.
The IT Building at Mohawk Valley Community College in Utica was full of family, friends and local dignitaries as the graduates celebrated the completion of their time at the academy.
While some of the graduates will be headed to local departments such as Utica, Rome and Ilion, the remaining graduates came from all across the state to train at the Utica Fire Academy as many smaller departments don’t have their own academy.
The keynote speaker at Tuesday’s ceremony was retired Asst. Chief George Clark, who spent 33 years with the Utica Fire Department. Through his experience over the years, he’s learned how important training new firefighters is to all departments.
“When you have a short-staffed department, you are working all the time and you’re putting a lot of pressure on the men that are working,” Clark said.
The first class graduated from the Utica Fire Academy in 1998.
The full list of graduates from the 33rd class of the Utica Fire Academy includes:
- Meghan Brower - Amsterdam Fire Department
- Dillon K. Reinhart - Amsterdam Fire Department
- Cory A. Dubetsky - Beacon Fire Department
- Frank Cicarello - Glens Falls Fire Department
- Aaron M. Whorf - Glens Falls Fire Department
- Mary P. View - Ilion Fire Department
- Robert O. Kohlbrenner - Rome Fire Department
- Alex M. Liddy - Rome Fire Department
- Nicholas J. Lotano - Saratoga Springs Fire Department
- Jacob M. McHarris - Sauquoit Fire Department
- John D. Falotico - Schenectady Fire Department
- Gregory J. Fulfree - Schenectady Fire Department
- Ryan M. Gamache - Schenectady Fire Department
- Michael J. Collins - Troy Fire Department
- Aleksandr Katko - Troy Fire Department
- Michael J. Dam - Utica Fire Department
- Zachary T. Ellis - Utica Fire Department
- Christopher R. Gorea - Utica Fire Department
- Ehser Kanyaw - Utica Fire Department
- Cody D. Rosinski - Utica Fire Department
- Anthony J. Halpin - Watervliet Fire Department