ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - The names of more than two dozen firefighters are being added to the New York State Fallen Firefighters Memorial in downtown Albany.
The state Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services' Office of Fire Prevention and Control is holding the 21st annual ceremony starting at 11 a.m. Monday in the Empire State Plaza Convention Center.
Of the 28 names being added to the memorial, 22 were members of the Fire Department of New York.
Last year, officials began adding to the memorial the names of FDNY members who died of illnesses after working in the rubble of the World Trade Center after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. State officials say out of the 22 FDNY members being added to the memorial, 19 worked at Ground Zero.
For more information, and to view the full list of names being added, click here.
- 28 names being added to NYS Fallen Firefighters Memorial
- Vernon man among 28 names added to NYS Fallen Firefighters Memorial
- 2 Upstate NY highways named for fallen troopers
- 51 names being added to Police Officers' Memorial in Albany
- New York troopers memorialize fallen comrades
- Meet Enzo: Newest K9 named in memory of fallen Oneida County deputy sheriff
- Fallen NY state trooper posthumously honored with award
- Cuomo: NY to waive tuition for fallen service members' kids
- Community blood drive to honor fallen Oneonta firefighter, John Heller
- Cuomo, NY Democrats launch ad campaign against new tax law