ILION, NY-- People in Ilion have been dealing with water main breaks and discolored water for years, but according to village officials a plan is in place to fix the sewer system and improve the water quality.
"It smells like iron, it tastes like iron, our white porcelain fixtures are turning orange, our laundry is turning orange and there is a lot of sediment in the water also," said Tim Faliveno, who lives on Miles Avenue in Ilion. "And you're thinking to yourself 'well I'm drinking this,' and it makes you wonder."
For the past five years Ilion has dealt with dozens of water main breaks. In 2015 the village had 52, this year there's some improvement at just 15.
"We know that there's issues, we know that the infrastructure here throughout the region is very, very old," said Mayor Terr Leonard. "Problems like this happen where one source of water is infiltrating another, so we're taking step to improve that."
The village was awarded a $30,000 grant from the state department of Environmental Conservation, to conduct a study of Ilion's sewer system. The entire project would cost $10 million, Leonard said most of those funds would be from bonding.
Leonard explained that the design phase for the project will likely start next spring, then a contract would be awarded and construction is expected to take place in 2019.
"Ilion has had water that's been award winning," he said. "In the past five years and I know the three years I've been here that hasn't been the case, we want to get back to that. Where that safe, fresh, clear drinking water is just expected and is there every day for folks.The board is dedicated to take those steps."
- Ilion water project to address water main breaks and discoloration
- Some Ilion residents may experience discolored water during hydrant draining
- Ilion Water: Meeting Monday Night, Discoloration Monday Morning
- Water main break on Remington Avenue in Ilion
- UPDATE: Water main repaired in Ilion following overnight break
- Water main breaks on Barringer Road in Ilion
- Second water main break discovered on Route 51 in Ilion
- BREAKING: Water Main on Route 51 in Ilion repaired
- Ilion experiences third water main break in a week
- Water main breaks continue to burden Village of Ilion