ORISKANY – An inmate at the Oneida County Jail is facing a new charge after he allegedly falsely reported that he was sexually assaulted by another inmate, according to the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies say that on September 26, 25-year-old Luis Silvagnoli of Utica filed a report with deputies in which he claimed that beginning on September 11, he was sexually assaulted several nights in a row by another inmate inside the jail.
An investigation was conducted by the Sheriff’s Office’s Criminal Investigation Unit and investigators reviewed evidence, the facility records, and re-interviewed Silvagnoli. The investigators found that Silvagnoli had not been truthful in his report, according to deputies, and they found several problems with his statement.
One of the problems was that the inmate Silvagnoli had accused of sexually assaulting him over several nights was only in the same unit as Silvagnoli for one night, and it was a constant watch unit with a correctional officer in the unit at all times. Deputies say that inmates in that unit are always in sight of the officer.
Silvagnoli is charged with misdemeanor making a false written statement. A warrant was obtained from Whitestown court and he is scheduled to appear in court at a later date.
Silvagnoli was arrested at the end of July and charged with felony third-degree rape for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a female under the age of 17. He was also charged with second-degree unlawful imprisonment, fourth-degree criminal mischief, second-degree harassment and endangering the welfare of a child, all misdemeanors, after Utica police responded to a domestic dispute.
- Deputies: Inmate falsely accused another inmate of sexual assault
- Inmate at Otsego County Jail accused of attacking another inmate
- Marcy correction officer accused of having sexual relationship with inmate
- Inmate pleads guilty to sexually abusing female corrections officer
- Woman accused of throwing chairs at officers during inmate visit
- Corrections officer accused of bringing marijuana into jail for inmates
- Otsego County inmate accused of possessing morphine pills
- Inmate escapes correction officer custody in Utica
- OCJ inmates celebrated for completing transitional programs
- New treatment program aims to help inmates