ONEONTA – A SUNY Oneonta student is facing felony charges after he allegedly fractured another man’s skull by beating him in the head with a baton, according to the Oneonta Police Department.
Edward Ferrall, 23, of Lynbrook, Nassau County, is charged with felony first-degree assault, felony tampering with physical evidence, misdemeanor second-degree menacing, misdemeanor fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon and misdemeanor resisting arrest.
On Saturday police received a report of a fight in the area of 236 Main Street in Oneonta, and police arrived to find a group of people surrounding a man who was lying on the ground. Police say that as officers exited their patrol vehicle, the man on the ground jumped up and started chasing a second man.
Both men were then stopped by police, who learned that there had been a fight in which the man who was lying on the ground was hit on the head with a collapsible police-style baton.
Police say the incident stemmed from an altercation that allegedly began at Jimmy T’s bar. The victim told police that he tried to calm the altercation but was instead pushed by Ferrall.
Ferrall then ran away from the scene and was caught in the area of 296 Main Street, according to police. After he was taken into custody, an officer found the collapsible baton that was believed to have been used in the assault.
Police say the victim sustained a laceration to his skull that was approximately 1 centimeter long, and his skull was also fractured, causing a brain hemorrhage. The victim was transported to Albany Medical Center and later released, and he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Ferrall was arraigned in Oneonta City Court and sent to the Otsego County Jail on $5,000 cash bail.
- SUNY Oneonta student accused of fracturing man's skull with baton
- SUNY Oneonta graduation ceremony
- SUNY Oneonta announces death of freshman student
- SUNY Oneonta student accused of stabbing girlfriend released on bail
- Hundreds graduate from SUNY Oneonta
- Unrecognized fraternity linked to death of SUNY Oneonta student
- SUNY Oneonta student charged with attempted murder in stabbing incident
- Community members mourn the death of SUNY Oneonta student
- SUNY Oneonta students discover American eel 440 miles from home
- SUNY Oneonta offers letters from alumni for new students