UTICA – Forty wheelchair racers are making their way along the Boilermaker 15K course after the race kicked off at 7:45 a.m.
This year is one of the largest groups of wheelchair competitors that the Boilermaker Road Race has had. One competitive aspect is the Sitrin Challenge, in which racers are compete to win a racing new wheelchair. Racers must break a time of two hours in a normal wheelchair to win the challenge.
Local wheelchair racers Hermin Garic and Jimmy Joseph both say next year is the year to win, as both have had problems with their chairs this year. When it comes to the wheelchair race, the equipment plays just as much of a role as the endurance and training.
With a field this big - fittingly 40 racers in the Boilermaker's 40th year - runners and racers will need to watch out for one another when the Boilermaker 15K kicks off with 14,500 runners at 8 a.m.
- 40 wheelchair racers are on their way
- Racers on their way in 40th annual Boilermaker 15K
- Boilermaker 5K, 15K & wheelchair race top finishers
- Boilermaker wheelchair competitor Hermic Garic prepares for the big race
- Boilermaker weekend kicks off with Sitrin wheelchair reception
- Daniel Romanchuk wins Boilermaker 15K wheelchair race for 3rd time
- Amanda McGrory wins women's wheelchair 15K race for 7th time
- 'Bowling for Ryan' fundraiser aims to give local teen a new wheelchair
- Local celebrities, Sitrin STARS to face off in wheelchair basketball game tonight
- Mug Club: 40 & 8 Fish Frys